The cannabinoids are a family of compounds that are constituents of Cannabis sativa, a plant with a long history in medicine.
Cannabidiol (CBD) products are an upcoming market in Europe and The Netherlands, while in the US it is already popular for longer time. Proper quantification of the cannabinoid content in these products is essential for the safety of the consumers, because these products might also contain the psychoactive opiate THC. The CBD market is booming because of the health claims that are made by popular social media and influencers.
CBD, one of the cannabinoid components, is presented nowadays as a “panacee”, which means that it would help for everything, from sleeping problems, anxiety, epilepsy, chronic pain to psychoses, etc. However, still a lot of research needs to be done on the effects of CBD, but also on pharmacokinetics and formulation for oral administrations.
By Dutch law, only CBD products that contain less than 0.05% THC are tolerated as food supplements on the Dutch market.
The current problem which customers and producers face is the inconsistent results that are provided by different laboratories.
Therefore, one should be aware that cannabinoids are molecules that take special care for proper quantification, and only be accurately measured by qualified laboratories:
Accredited laboratory for quantitative analysis of cannabinoids
GlycoMScan has been given by our Dutch government the trust and permission to start with this quantitative analysis. We work according to established methods to keep the cannabinoids intact and we will provide you with a certificate of analysis from a sensitive and quantitative HPLC method as output.
Our society will benefit when these analyses are done by well-educated analytical chemists, to prevent that some CBD products containing THC (Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) will enter the legal market.
Our analytical instruments are state-of-the-art and under SLA, which means that we can guarantee you short-time to accurate and sensitive results.
When you are interested in our analyses, please contact us via email@example.com
- cibg.nl – Ministerie van VWS
- CBD, la panacée? Le Temps, November 2020.
- White C.M. A Review of Human Studies Assessing Cannabidiol’s (CBD) Therapeutic Actions and Potential. J Clin Pharmacol 2019 Jul;59(7):923-934.
- Pisanti S, et al. Cannabidiol: State of the art and new challenges for therapeutic applications. Pharmacol Ther 2017 Jul;175:133-150.
- Bhattacharya,S et al. Opposite effects of Delta-9-tetrahydrocanabinol and cannabidiol on human brain function and psychopathology. Neuropsychopharmacology 2010
- Lambert D.M. and Fowler C.J. The endocannabinoid system: drug targets, lead compounds, and potential therapeutic applications. J Med Chem 2005 Aug 11;48(16):5059-87.